Wednesday, August 5, 2020

I RESIST STATING THE OBVIOUS - BUT RECRUITING IS THE KEY TO THE STANFORD WBB SUCCESS! AND THE BEAT GOES ON IN 2021!!

STANFORD'S CLASS OF 2021 


BROOKE DEMETRE - 6'-3" GUARD 
MATER DEI HIGH SCHOOL, SANTA ANA, CA.

I remember my industrial grade disappointment when Katy Lou Samuelson chose UConn over Stanford in 2015. That's how excited I am that Brooke Demetre didn't make that mistake. This video from Brooke's junior year tells the story:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLmMzpxGMTs

She's going to write her name in lights in the Stanford record books and I can't wait to see her in action. 

JZANIYA HARRIEL - 5'-10" POINT GUARD
ANTELOPE HIGH SCHOOL, SACRAMENTO, CA.



Think a slightly taller Kiana. I predict that after a quick adjustment to Division 1 players, Jzaniya will delight the fans in Maples for four years. She's got the entire package and will make her teammates sizzle. Like Kiana she's smooth and lethal driving for layups or floaters and she's deadly from distance. At point guard, Stanford just keeps getting stronger.

ELENA BOSGANA - 6'-2" FORWARD
THE AMERICAN SCHOOL, ATHENS, GREECE

Our first European star! Elena could be EDD's little sister when you watch her play. She's young (16) and rangy in this video, but as you watch it, imagine her two years later with more strength and experience. Kristin Folkl-Kaburakis (1998 Stanford All American) is married to Elena's coach and mentored her through the recruiting process at Stanford.


I'm anxious to watch Elena develop her body, her game, and her confidence on the Farm. In her sophomore season I expect to see glimmers of Alanna Smith.  She's good now, but just wait and enjoy the ride.

KIKI IRIAFEN  (9th RANKED RECRUIT) - 6'-3" FORWARD
HARVARD-WESTLAKE HIGH SCHOOL
NORTH HILLS, CA.

Sue and John Soo have done a great job of introducing Okikiola to our membership elsewhere in this website. I'll just do a little additional raving. What a fabulous attitude she has!! She's a legit star who does all the dirty work underneath with joy and enthusiasm! You hear coaches talk about "motor" - man has she got one! Belibi, Prechtel, Brink, and Iriafen, - if I were Katy I would have a hard time containing my excitement for the future of our program. An embarrassment of riches - I think I heard her say recently. 

 When Kiki said, "Stanford" I could almost hear Geno, Kim, and Dawn groan. One of the themes of my blog, if you've been following along, is the reversal of the magnetic pole in women's basketball to the West. I think five years ago Kiki would have said, "UConn or Baylor." Things they be a changin and it's just getting started people. Success breeds success in this business. Katy's going to turn Okikiola into a genuine beast and I think the above named coaches know it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

THIS IS A BIG WEEKEND!

  On Friday we get USC and Sunday UCLA.  The Trojans are ranked #15. They brought in five strong players through the Transfer Portal and lan...